Re: LF: Methods to transmit DFCW

To: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Methods to transmit DFCW
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 15:57:33 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:reply-to:message-id:to:subject:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:content-transfer-encoding; bh=CI/rb3pswRJLlbU2qYxza9e3lS19JbydimkNo48glZU=; b=aqyRGKt6cevJftjUiGXXs5++86GMrlhJElC7zjIssP9sqOglav9ryvy4LgshZS23Xn HoU5z0LhDB7UlxfKeH120ithfo3VINMxeSdIEj1oYFZcxdtNKQhSsbxnXab/jTKW4YP5 CDpK742zRpboFOIGAQW044HfhUxsveWlibnpR4NoTWkIkAenCHSSm7ULMesa98KL5oNr EdPuzWUnSwhKpHvFx+gPPrjfv4WM7r0tfrCClU/GLySrBB8B/W1Ym1slwLNaM0HqWPYf nYnoahpSNgn4MwuLL9qDzwuHgXjs12xpIQbHc07YQZRMLQF97MHABLqeWZj1TxidVid1 jqEA==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello N1BUG,

> Hi Markus,

> Mine too! I would strongly prefer that every exciter and amplifier
> be linear but sadly that is not the case in my station. The other
> monster in the chase is frequency stability. ;-)

> I do have a SSB HF transceiver and a home built downconverter for LF
> transmitting. I used this for some CW and JT9-1 QSOs. Unfortunately
> it is of no use for slow modes. The converter has a 10 MHz OCXO
> which is very stable but the HF transceiver operating at 10.136 MHz
> has a cyclic thermal drift of about 6 or 7 Hz every time my furnace
> comes on and changes the room temperature! Transmitting, even at low
> power will also cause problems with heat. This is no good at all. I
> could try to put some kind of heater (like a crystal oven) on the
> transceiver's TCXO and try to add some insulation around it. This
> would not be easy due to its location on a large PCB and limited
> space. I doubt I could make it good enough.

> Better of course (and very interesting!) would be to replace the
> TCXO with an external GPS locked oscillator but I do not know if I
> am up to this challenge. It would require some very delicate surgery
> I guess.

> In an ideal world the HF transceiver TCXO would be replaced by a
> GPSDO, the 10 MHz OCXO in the downcoverter replaced by a GPSDO, the
> downconverter rebuilt to be linear, the amplifier replaced with one
> that is linear, and the LO in the SDR receiver replaced by a GPSDO.
> Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world and probably none of
> that is going to happen. :-)

> 73,
> Paul

> On 11/16/18 9:18 AM, Markus Vester wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> guess my preferred method is a linear SSB exciter which can do
>> all sorts of modes, including specialties like chirped Hell and
>> picture transmissions, or 1-dB stepped power tests. On the other
>> hand with one sitting here this is easily said ;-)
>>
>> Stefan and Tom have successfully employed a Raspberry Pi, which
>> can produce modulated RF directly on one of it's digital output
>> pins. This has been used for WSPR but I guess it could also make
>> DFCW.
>>
>> Best 73, Markus (DF6NM)
>>

>> -----Ursprüngliche Mitteilung----- Von: N1BUG <[email protected]>
>> An: rsgb_lf_group <[email protected]> Cc: lowfer
>> <[email protected]> Verschickt: Fr, 16. Nov. 2018 12:34
>> Betreff: Re: LF: Methods to transmit DFCW
>>
>> Thanks Andy. I have no proficiency at all in PIC or Arduino
>> programming. In my younger days I wrote some reasonably complex
>> DOS programs but a lot has happened since then an the old brain
>> isn't what it used to be I'm afraid.
>>
>> I am not against *trying* to learn but will consider this a last
>> resort if no more complete or operator friendly system can be
>> found.
>>
>> 73, Paul
>>

>> On 11/14/18 10:42 AM, Andy Talbot wrote:
> [...]

Sadly VK3RF has stopped making these, I have had one in my TS-590S for
years and it works great. Disconnect the Trimble Thunderbolt reference
and it reverts to its own TCXO. There may be alternatives...

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]