Re: LF: Could anyone in/around Essex give a talk to our radio club about

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Could anyone in/around Essex give a talk to our radio club about low frequency operation?
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:34:35 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=from:mime-version:subject:date:references:to:in-reply-to:message-id; bh=V1u3JCtPemI15jblkIev4zKnBJPCTKnQ+l885haOcpQ=; b=bVEVjtuirpV5qjuIekm1aObg0zOvaHmeqSMKcZrrG3HuDNzgWnFXfBlSC1cqzdKtVX QdQZp+zBVKuPUqR5L0WnPTOj3dHPUCaO5QeSRF4P2zRxvJZXIv8+Fb+/0V7xM4uznydq z4WaXQTRaCeiKGAz71qdJJnvW5xd3gC0jbM5c1rhOFAb2O5+xl9IpwGIqzdBPYRLgqCO NyiR0uX1QJlbt//uaEnpn1AA2un0Y/WxduyUaR0rU9jpfOxXERPf0zWZP7pdl7zlUIKw LXdu4FCtNMn51/pGfpZUvkKid6/Lp6/pY3+DQ2L5UDCoUM12WsqRkKsMVxlFrBQqN2jJ x6Qw==
Sender: [email protected]
Dave,

I wish I could give you a talk, but journeys of the order of 1000 km are now beyond me.

Here are my comments on the technical aspects of 2200 m. No doubt some more active practitioners will be able to correct my misunderstandings.

Looking at the DHARS website I get the impression that the top band antenna is a vertical (40 m?). This might be worth investigating for 136, as would a flat-top of two or three well-spaced wires about 40 m long at a height of perhaps 10 m, such as I used a few years ago and with an ERP of 2 mW was received in Hertfordshire.

On the receive side, a very large antenna is not always necessary. Indeed it can sometimes be a disadvantage if you have high power neighbours or interference sources. For many of my experiments I used a 2 x 2 m rectangular loop oriented for minimum signal from the nearest LW broadcast station (France Inter which closed down a few years ago). I am about to rebuild the loop as it was demolished by a wild animal from the local forest.

Although some people concentrate on “best DX”, and have obtained good results, many experimenters on that band concentrate on modulation methods and similar aspects of amateur radio.

73 John F5VLF