Re: LF: Signal bandwidth in Op32 LF

To: LineOne <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Signal bandwidth in Op32 LF
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 11:23:12 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=CEDtww9TNGLelXZMP2YfMW4xiaEgFV+rgUdpXVQSyR4=; b=Sa+W6ry22pV50dWLiStoV4gZZ79/lM076mEyPLgkbZNb+rzTdin+rlVrAkzNeHhqsS SZ7IyEfcjNOte6XvyEDi+GQ323NlxkfM7Qb7NRyr6befw6DDLm9Jp3CSz7T5pSZOvfbB FajsMkHH9/3WRV2EHbmJoUOuyE35p6IBB8lt75F1rXfPv8pC5OZ3r35J5TND7j0DOAar ZZTbycUlMIdV289uBer6gh49tgwK1+oX5PPyF3lsOjqkAFIg9PC2iDeSOHl36KduHPA5 BgPjS10YmOCHDo83EJEVqIoxS90vbYKdxVgwRQR9hu9iQ60vUkjlixpHcNi8UzhDUKUp V4VQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Partly, perhaps, but I suspect your dead FETs could be due to antenna reflections of wideband transients of a hard switched waveform.  A sharp rise (or fall) time hitting a high Q antenna will cause it to ring.  The resulting oscillations will most likely be out of phase with voltages present in the PA and could be causing over-voltage.   The correct way to do on-off on a really high power switching PA is to key the PA itself - ideally with a ramped waveform

WSPR uses phase continuous small frequency transistions, so the Hi-Q antenna sees nothing to make it 'ring'

In the early days of 73kHz when people used  'Coherent', that was hard switched 10 Bit-per-second  PSK some users reported damaged PAs.  My loading coil certainly made  clicking noises when the phase shifted, although the modified 100 Watts MOSFET audio amp  (a linear PA) survived.