Re: VLF: carrier at 8270.003

To: LF Group <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VLF: carrier at 8270.003
From: Riccardo Zoli <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 16:17:12 +0200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=eb5gLV6xvjNH05anhQbYl9f1I9p7IZL9qX3KlnuikDA=; b=tR1szx1J5EKHJ0wARxJHkqd9uZhq5PF+hfnJ5UR5m+91k8LDuSVvx1ZMhFqwiUm93m q9phSW/LGGvehwTKGoS4A/9Z9UwxNRr76lJKSlUwB8hdLOJleom7r/EOw4qGpNaXeLQT D5zqR1jaC1XDNod4UEAzfP0oHQntpV5qeOvy2rIjZ8xZcN7O9+N1rx2N7Tc4Wx21d+nI gozJ7A1FiaEUZKbgD2mpowV+KORZj2RQDmTtmRWgPMo8pOuSZJ9QQFxhSWRPt/DgGF37 659GN8e4z3HDHTGTW6Iq9NDTj1jqgU8n98rxL7QLldVtv6ZVJB6gwoKlv3Sy/3zfp+FP PMuw==
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan,

congrats, your protection system looks really useful and functional.
Now I'm using a linear push-pull PA (2 x IRF260) supplied with 62V and 5.7A max (about 350W input), however I prefer to drive it in full power out (max efficiency), because in linear zone there is a significant heating.
My goal (I hope!) is to implement an automatic loading coil tuning system (like I'm doing in LF/MF) with moving ferrite core inside, controlled by a microprocessor.

73 de Riccardo IW4DXW

Riccardo,

My antenna current plot is at http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/VLF/TX.png
It shows the current antenna current antenna current. But also the safe limit and the ALC level. At night it was colder and the ALC has regulated down the drive amplitude to the PA. Now the sun (yes, Eddie) is shining and due to the heat the core is warmer and the the losses are a bit higher i think. Thus the ALC is clipping at 1.4 (the factor c for regulating the amplitude) and so the current is moving down and up. But the important thing is that it does not become higher than 56 mA! Because this is the maximum voltage the coil can hold. Thus, the coil is protected against overvoltages. At night i allowed the current tto drop up to 5 mA below the target level, below that, an error would be indicated and the system stops TXing after 5x 0.2 seconds... It seems to be very warm today in Heidelberg so i just set the safe limit to -10 mA, to avoid unwanted stopping of the carrier...

With the ALC function you can hold your antenna current constant, for example if rain starts and the antenna gets slightly detuned, the ALC can increase the amplitude and so the current stays constant. It regulates slowly. This is important because if a fault occurrs, that function must be to slow trying to increase the amplitude to make the fault even more extreme. Before it compensated to dropping current due to the fault, it must be indicated as a fault and then tripped. That's the idea of the combined functions... So far it worked well here and there were a few situations where it safed the system! You can simply sleep much better when TXing at night...

73, Stefan