Re: LF: W1VD amp help - MY FINAL POST

To: LineOne <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: W1VD amp help - MY FINAL POST
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 08:24:13 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=B17SHUVF/gDvSc5WgHqEfuGRU8v0HjF9oQ5+zcVkkrw=; b=o6Ol/NhQFWYbBbKBYgl7sldgjkSQuXRlsdaQ6U2A5uuo1a+33RwqkuPiJdX82LlePM bv7X562fQgUwWtmtdCwlil8fYpg5qHSCjBnXure43IC9YbQLOIstP/EaG7B3PvSFfpkG KcWglGSplU7b75950fQk6f40uCoyo8dHU16Yl8ocI7+OE7UrDNaXq3Xs3iJkMGrHyzy3 ncXL6TuMYZ9lZUs21EYzSgM3s4JqmRsPS09/ILmMEq5XfNGnvlgfJLGwvDiJwNlrbehB sr7wYU0KDluedQk3Mc+cmEID5pX6H8nIaPKZbMjGih4/qCnvZUUoa0+Ofs5gOD9Yvuoa 7WYg==
Sender: [email protected]
The irony here is that class-E does not mandate a short sharp gate drive.  As it is tuned and adjusted for zero Drain volts at the transition, the shape of the drive is less critical.

So says Fred Raab, the guru of using low cost mosfets at HF.   It may not be quite so true for LF, but I went to a talk given by Fred many years ago on this subject, and have seen several papers by him.

However, my 400 Watt 475kHz amp does have a nice meaty driver chip.   http://www.g4jnt.com/QRO_500kHz_PA_Breadboard.pdf

(Yes I know it's the 500kHz version - somehow never got round to updating the write up after retuning for 475kHz)

Andy  G4JNT