Re: LF: 137 kHz QRX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 137 kHz QRX
From: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:23:56 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Chris,

I went on a treasure hunt and found my variometers! :-) However,
digging them out of the snow made little difference. The antenna R
remained high, well beyond the range of my tapped matching
transformer. It's slowly coming down today and I think I may be able
to transmit tonight.

I don't recall reading about this anywhere, but it appears to me
this phenomenon may be related to snow or ice on trees. Whenever the
trees get coated with ice or wet snow, the antenna R goes up. It
stays up until the snow or ice comes off the trees. Sometimes that
means hours, other times days (ice followed by cold so it doesn't
come off). Whatever the cause, the lesson here is that I need a
transformer with wider range, and relays to change taps remotely!

We got two feet of snow this last storm. Total snow pack is now
about four feet. :-\ Good thing we had a warm spell before this
storm. Otherwise it would be six feet!

I hope you can get your coil redone soon. I've redone mine twice so far.

73,
Paul N1BUG