Re: VLF: DF6NM on 5170.0025 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: DF6NM on 5170.0025 Hz
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:05:08 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=abelian.org ; s=default; h=Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:In-Reply-To: MIME-Version:Date:Message-ID:From:References:To:Subject:Sender:Reply-To:Cc: Content-ID:Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender: Resent-To:Resent-Cc:Resent-Message-ID:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe: List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive; bh=s7mQ2GBs7feBQHHEgUsvA52v4NWXmUtYjbz/as9/8Qk=; b=rFBzO74/RvTSYzT1KjMb6XaPFL TTzNTNnN+/tdvnA75WFk435EGQqKSyhF7bixWyhmmffHeA9iZvRNt4tdrqnJqKvFBqQnt0HAKwjje Yp6pCNZc2VvYxF7O3A7riO3DSxxRxSLrKnXKaC3tFvOP0tsullrYEjD3OXrPBPpT42xY=;
Sender: [email protected]
The signal from Markus yesterday measures

 E-field 8nV/m and S/N 11.24 dB in 139 uHz.

 H-field 0.025 fT but S/N only 3.1 dB.

Obviously the excess noise on H at this frequency is still
there.

Stefan wrote:

> Tomorrow i intend to re-build the system for 4470 Hz and
> like to try a 100 character message

Based on the performance of the last 4470 Hz signal I'd guess
it might be more like 15 to 20 days.

S/N averaged -29.2 dB in 1Hz.  I can't report any improvement
in reception since then.

Perhaps 50 characters would be better.   We'll have to do
something - there's been no new VLF milestones since Jan 19th!

I'm glad you're getting to grips with vlfrx-tools.  Do you
have a PC to run it on, or just the Pi?

Your receiver in the forest ran without a timing break for
several days.  That's a good sign.  Here too I'm finding the
Pi is a reliable capture device with either the Octo or the
stereo audioinjector cards from Flatmax Studios.

At last - a system that works on the Pi!   Good for signal
capture and processing the live stream to record, detect
whistlers, SID monitor, live streaming, etc.

But the Pi doesn't have enough power for post-processing
signal analysis - weak signal detection, measurements, ebnaut,
unless you are very patient!

I've been busy making detailed notes on how to set up and use
a Pi with vlfrx-tools, aimed at the novice.  Hopefully have
something to post in the next week or so.

Oh, does anyone use Xming to run X-Windows under M$ Windows?
Or some other X-Windows display server?   I need to find out
what works, for the above mentioned notes.   And what do
people use on Windows for a SSH client?

--
Paul Nicholson