Re: LF: VLF NA Ebnaut

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF NA Ebnaut
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 11:12:33 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul and all,

Thanks for all effort put into this, and nice to hear about the TA reception via my remote receiver at DF0WD.

Paul asked:

Wolf's receiver has been working very well the last few days.
Wonder if some improvement has been made?
<<

Simple : I disconnected all cables running from the shack to the VHF antenna tower, and the HF antennas for the next couple of days. That reduces the amount of noise capacitively coupled from mains to the tower, and from the tower to the VLF E-field receiver (15 meters distance). Even disconnecting the rotor control cables (for the VHF/UHF yagis) gave an audible reduction of hum at the site itself. So the RMS voltage for the 'long distance analog audio link (UHF, FM)' is much lower now, less distortion, less QRM in the kHz range.

But unfortunately, we will still activate the club station on VHF in the next couple of days, so the performance of VLF6 may drop again. Of course those wires leading out of the shack will be properly disconnected again, and located as far away from the 230 V mains as possible.

Cheers,
  Wolf .