Re: LF: Re: A robust session on 630-meters : K9FD (/KH6) -> LA2XPA and m

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: A robust session on 630-meters : K9FD (/KH6) -> LA2XPA and more...
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 13:09:47 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roelof, I have in the past discussed these odd polar paths with Laurence. One though is a 'location filter' consider a path where the transition through the auroral belt happens to coincide with a ground reflection??

Though I think we are due a wipeout for a couple of days. The Dst has just gone to zero nT prior to a dip expected from the Kp=5 this morning. Another effect I have seen is what I refer to as 'leakage' I am not sure about this but there is data that shows poor signals after a long geomagmetically qiet period. Though the E-layer is theoretically ionised by non-solar effects (cosmic rays) there is obviously some effect. The interesting point is this poor prop period can be ended by a low-level geomagmetic event (Kp=4) so it is possible that nighttime ionisation levels in the E layer benefit from mild geomagnetic activity. We may see more of this as we go into this Solar Minimum. these things remain fascinating.

Best Wishes
Alan G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>