RE: VLF: Carrier on 3675.005 Hz / EbNaut - YES

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: VLF: Carrier on 3675.005 Hz / EbNaut - YES
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 18:36:59 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1502663823; bh=Cec64vpmm3D4JdUL5gqlQ0UZcuxakc8bLzOh/9hhMog=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=kYFzRtyIOJvJzEs9zY2XQWaCNSrMJN9cIs4gPeX82Wxn10uocHlWH+PKdqS5yXzT/ O9qabIKV3YTEerqutMaTHyMmE0eD23wAL3eKVW9yGx/n6rRVGvGI8F9FW3Sofjz5/5 3CQR1ubi0EHcpUnceEbv+MVip4Tg+vxzbsfxfy/oeTKsohJjhicvs0BJJPaka80bSf J+ctrNJQVXfEuScI1/2kgAf7dbp+1oTNduncGhIoBitLKuVcvl8zk7VLMN2xRNSLLh Di+UBtjoFdXiBFGZhV2BefEcmuHG+T4+g1KdOF4m/NUVj3aiuSjOVL3Geif2pZ1FDN hUeWk9+oi59Qg==
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan,

You mentioned “different coil concept” for more power. I’m doubting that any of the following are desirable but I thought I’d mention them in case one them prompts an actually-good idea:

a) A hermetic shell made by filling a 1/4" space between cylinders with temperature-cured hard-epoxy; pressurized. Very dry, and better position on the Paschen pressure/voltage breakdown curve.

b) Using higher permeability lower-loss Metglas cores* to allow spaced turns, which would reduce proximity loss (and associated voltage); and to allow thicker wire (lower loss-voltage).

     *  (I bought some Metglas AMCC4 and AMCC-1SX cores at low cost from a surplus supplier; haven’t tested them yet)

c) Using one or more series capacitors in the coil (-5j,+5j,-5j,+5j,-5j,+5j…  fun to think about, perhaps a practical nightmare even with CW, but HV balanced stacking is much better than it used to be. Seems good for a high-current resonant small-loop antenna but even in that case unwieldy for QSY)

73,

Jim AA5BW