RE: VLF: Carrier on 6470.005 Hz / iron powder cores in high electric fie

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: VLF: Carrier on 6470.005 Hz / iron powder cores in high electric fields
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 06:43:13 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1492166605; bh=vclruVMAAosLDEXL8AoHT4lU1HvjimTuru1HOwr1UKI=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=ockdy/7y9YmlE9OgkRl8GuKFcYuSs1aKO1Xgi5Jr80il/X0p6Ci/XIOYq/HRXT53t We1d91lQoRlzXzP3g2gXsV3o/t8TL7Wt+95JgE2/+gjBEuYBxdUrN03M/feJrlfDTb CvscrquKudSJEF7tPBzEDu0gztpC2lj9VH1JCm4TbSDZjBoDrK/f9KVp1i9bs1wyYb oGIzfHRD4PrCy+QPO3QrYPlbn1eLIUxvCK0NGwJL2uKd8mN8/yIUigJO3yT2uBdciQ kEzeCv1w/4wxnJ57R4TsBEegJxBjT21HP5774+flajMmCNUuXAJA7SQjkzYFE4M76G 2Hv4hzqwJS/Eg==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

It is good to see your recent (8270 Hz) 34 dB at 31.6 uHz in Todmorden,
21.7dB 31.6uHz on Jacek's grabber, and (6470 Hz) 18 dB in 46.3 uHz in
Todmorden, and a textbook DFCW-6000 spectrogram from Paul. Compliments to
all, including fine work on receivers and processing.

Your observations on cores (in your message below) were most intriguing;
including the many interesting tradeoffs that you identified, and I was
basically hooked.  I looked at gapped and ungapped METGLAS and
polycrystalline cores vs T106-52, using a 2-D vector modeling tool for the
magnetic field inside of the coil. A first pass (not to be trusted without
experimental verification) with the 2-D field solver and other modeling
tools suggested (best case) up to 10x reduction in hysteresis + eddy current
losses, and 11x increase in core electrical resistance (65 ohms vs 6 ohms)
using 2605SA1 METGLAS, with the same core weight, but excessive core cost
(even with low surplus prices) with spatially even distribution of cores.
But the surplus 2605SA1 METGLAS cores (30,000 available) would, according to
simulations, not give degraded performance near the coil walls (simulations
did show degraded performance with T106-52 near the coil walls), and
placement of 2605SA1 closer to the coil walls could theoretically reduce the
cost of low-loss low-conductivity METGLAS to less than the cost of T106-52.
These simulation findings are not worth much without basic validation by
experiment followed by corrections to the models, but a basic qualitative
validation with 10 cores and an improvised coil would be would be
inexpensive and easy; so I ordered ten of the surplus 2605SA1 METGLAS cores.
The improvised coil is connected to a sweep generator, power amp and storage
scope, ready to go when the cores come in next week.

If a low-cost low-loss high-Q option is not indicated, at least some
additional information regarding parallel and series Rs and Cs in the coil
model may emerge. Thank you for the ongoing new findings; it seems they
provide good opportunities for continued learning.

73,

Jim AA5BW