LF: Last night results and intro

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Last night results and intro
From: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 06:13:26 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hello LFers,

Last night I had what could probably be considered a full call sign from DF2JP on DFCW. I got all the characters of DF6NM but not all at the same time. What is considered valid copy of a callsign on this mode? Does it need to be all in one piece or is it considered complete if you get half the call and then the other half some hours later in the same night?

I also decoded WH2XND on WSPR2 and I was hearing WH2XIL very well on QRSS and CW.

Perhaps it is interesting to mention I had trouble getting complete, uninterrupted call signs from DF2JP and DF6NM due to QSB, but on peaks both were strong enough for other modes such as WSPR2.

To introduce myself and my setup:

I became seriously interested in LF over the past few months. I had some trouble initially getting a receiver to work well but think I have that sorted now.

I'm using a modified SoftRock Lite II with a W1VD preamp and additional bandpass filtering. I was told the antenna would never work but somehow it does, by accident I suppose. It is a 180m long Beverage. Let me explain further. I built a system for 160m band operation some years ago. It consists of four reversible Beverages made from WD1A field wire. Directions are 0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270, 315 degrees. On 136 kHz, 7 directions are useless but when I select 225 degrees it magically works for North America and Europe. I suspect some interaction with other antennas or long conductors in the area may be responsible for this accidental working of the antenna.

During better times (winter, low QRN) I had received many times DC0DX, G8HUH, and 2E0ILY on WSPR2 mode.

From last night forward, I will be monitoring WSPR2, DFCW/QRSS (136.171-136.176 Argo QRSS60 normal), and Opera. If requested I will gladly change DFCW/QRSS settings.

I have been granted a Part 5 Experimental license to run 10W ERP on LF and 50W ERP on MF. Now that these bands are about to be opened for amateur use at 1W / 5W EIRP, I do not know which license I will operate under. First I must build a station!

Paul
N1BUG  160m-2m         DXCC Honor Roll
WI2XTC 2200m-630m Experimental license
FN55mf      ME      Piscataquis County