Re: LF: Icom IC706 on LF/MF

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Icom IC706 on LF/MF
From: "F6CNI - Andy - JN19QB" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 19:13:03 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Gary.

Here I am using often my Icom 706 version MK2.

On 630 m it delivers 1 to 2 Watts output when you set the minimum power level "L". The PA TX radiator stay a bit warm but not too much during long transmission as OP8. Do not try to set an higer output level because the PA may be becoming very warm.... An amator said that his 706 MK2G can deliver 20 Watts ??? Perhaps there is some difference between the 2 versions ? The basic stability is nice for WSPR2, OP8 and QRSS 3 and 10. But here I installed the OCXO option and with it I can copy QRSS 120 on LF with no perceptible drift. I highly recommand to build and add an external 5 poles low pass filter to have a very nice sinus signal shape.

On 2200 m the PA stays cold but the output power over 50 Ohms is low, about 5 to 10 mW. Also nice shape signal if you add an external LPF filter.

This transceiver is also very sensitive on MF / LF reception an has also a great advantage : only 1 Hz step using the VFO !

73 de Andy.