RE: VLF: New coil for 8270 Hz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: VLF: New coil for 8270 Hz
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 16:07:55 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1483045682; bh=GSo09X9Ka7QRNlCWbSvljmafWAeDr/lL161WyfTjwjQ=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=iSbqEKk1hfJA3M44kww7hOjvYEVHV9hD+31CAJZRvAAUNVwkqMzNfSWZtM2ZcjyDJ aMIe0Tq0cRk0iCIdMnXIX/6TPaBLLvpQUnLNbMzj4RE5gc2tWeNkT2Een9Zads+Ibk JsMC+/TpcLD2JvTOctQNLEoDCkLHKJ3OUbPZciQ+T5npFACGtdhDi7iEuSlXFNzR9r MbpyW8lb4U4Q9lexwCn/HXVZxATuQCJMJRmHgOo6sKKLFngpDPhFIOyr0662fJSqYd tKm5wa/isXRWCAPRGTgHePaZ0RY7Z/497YLiKPIuomJsHNKUQw936As88MFCz1ww76 na8oWV05bKyIw==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

The process is public information but in a niche area so there is probably
no online link. Friends and I spent a year or so developing it, so we
remember all of the fine details; I will document them and post to the
group.

Solutions of this sort (high voltage environmental hardening) are always
somewhat application specific so this method may not be the best for you,
but to cover that possibility I will include three additional items (in
addition to the process description):
a) A description of a quick/easy means of life testing an expendable small
sample (a very short coil using your PVC, wire and ferrite). Just a few
labor hours (and 3 days hands-off on the workbench) provides a reliable
indicator of 10-year life for HV devices encapsulated with this process.
This simple test is one of the best parts of the process; accelerated life
tests are legendary for irrelevance, but this accelerated test originally
made root-cause isolation of the primary failure mechanism possible, and as
a result is sufficiently correlated with 10-year life to remain as the
process-validation standard for millions of fielded devices with compliant
life history.
b) A summary description of: advantages (life, cost, weight); harsh
environment specifications; and disadvantages:
  (20g shock is OK but a large coil will not survive a 3-foot corner-impact
drop to concrete unless RTV coating, thin pads or equivalent are added;
fielded units made with this process are dropped onto rock and concrete
regularly but they usually have a thin RTV layer inside of a thin plastic
case for shock spreading); also encapsulant is hard, so coil cannot be
reworked after encapsulation.
c) A description of the primary life-failure mechanism of encapsulated HV
devices in harsh outdoor/mobile/portable environments, and the physical and
chemical properties of this process that enable a low-weight solution.

The documents in (a), (b) and (c) may help determine if this solution is
useful to you; for instance: document (a) will show a quick high-confidence
pre-test procedure, but document (b) will show very limited ability to
rework the coil after encapsulation. Another example: document (b) will show
that a key requirement for this process was: minimal added weight (for
10-year HV life in harsh outdoor/mobile/portable environments); much heavier
solutions such as some used by electric utility companies withstand repeated
high impact and may allow some rework. You might also find something in
document (c) that shows incompatibility with your environment or
application.

If the process is not right for the ULF coil, I hope that it will find
ongoing use in other high voltage areas. The recipe has no fancy
ingredients; just the appropriate ingredients, steps and sequence for its
application; if it's not right for the ULF coil perhaps posting it will keep
it in good service somewhere, hope it works for the ULF coil or other group
applications .

73,

Jim AA5BW