ULF: A new attempt on 2970 Hz

To: [email protected], Renato Romero <[email protected]>
Subject: ULF: A new attempt on 2970 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 16:35:36 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi ULF,

Since yesterday (10.Sep), 11 UTC, i'm running a new experiment on the 101 km band. It is in 31.2 km distance to my transmitter-site.

The last experiment did not produce satisfying results due to various reasons.

Now i improved the loop cross section area, the loop orientation, GPS reception (for the 1 PPS + NMEA reference signal). Furthermore the recording sample rate was reduced to 32 kS/s which allows about 3 days of stereo recording. I'm still using the Raspberry Pi2 for therecording. The system consumes just 150 mA from a 12V battery. 3x 7 Ah lead acid batteries are in use now.

The transmission contains stable carriers and a short DFCW-12000 message, "73". The transmission can be followed on my 3.5 km distant forest grabber at http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber2.html , as usual.

Relative to the last experiment, the average QRN has dropped significantly now, another advantage. So i'm quite optimistic to get a good result!

The next experiment in about 60 km distance is already in preparation. Then i will use my new coil which is still in preparation. The last measurement, after completing the 3rd stack, showed a resonance frequency of 4.27 kHz. So it should have 2.8 H now... In the next experiment, i will use 100 mA antenna current, again a about 6 dB stronger signal.

The current experiment will stop on Tuesday afternoon. Results can be expected in the end of the next week.

73, Stefan/DK7FC