Hi all, |
It took some time to prepare the post-processing of the data. I'm now
playing the wav files in windows media player (!! :-) ) and feed the
output to VAC3 which is then read by 3 SpecLab instances. The incoming
spectrograms are shown on the bottom of this page:
The spectrograms become updated each 10 minutes (100 minutes for the 47
The end is to be expected in 2 days.
I already saw the trace in 212 uHz, as well as the frequency shift (had
to restart the analysis for various reasons). But i didn't see the end
of the recording yet. In the end of the files, which represent the data
of monday morning, the traces should have their best SNR. Also the
frequency shift down from 2970.0025 Hz to 2970.0000 Hz should become
But so far i can say that the SNR is less than expected. This is most
likely due to the high QRN and secondly due to the non ideal matching
of the antenna resonance (to sharp and not centered on 2970).
Am 01.08.2016 19:38, schrieb DK7FC:
The second part (2/3) of my 17 km experiment is successfully completed.
Today i've been on the quiet location in 17 km distance again. In fact
it is 16.8 km. For savety reasons i didn't want to tell the
exact location but now i can say that it was in http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html?qth=JN49KM06AM
You will see there is not much that can generate QRM :-)
This is the path between transmitter and receiver: http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html?qth=JN49KM06AM&from=jn49ik00wd
If the signal is detectable, it would probably be the first far field
detection of a signal generated by radio amateurs on the 101 km band.
Or even the first ULF far field signal? I don't know...
Everything was possible during that time, a lot of things that could
have gone bad or good. Everything went well!
When coming to the location at saw that:
-The equipment was still there (nothing stolen)
-The recording was still running (no damage of the arrangement and no
crash of the Raspberry Pi2)
-The batteries were at 12.09 V (no deep discharge)
-The arecord process on the Raspi did not crash, 29.2 GB wav
file data (splitted in 2 GB files) were recorded to the USB stick.
Everything went well, the equipment is back in the shack, the batteries
are now loading again.
The QRN has been extreme this weekend. There are certainly better times
in the year for such a test :-) I am optimistic to find the signal
anyway because the background noise was very low (between the sferics)
in this location.
Due to the high QRN i decided not to transmit EbNaut but simply do a
frequency shift as shown in this spectrogram taken on my remote
This is the trace to be found in my post-processing that i will start
I will show the signal in different bandwidths, if detectable....
Am 31.07.2016 15:18, schrieb DK7FC:
Thanks. But so far there is no result. On monday i will drive there
again and hope to find the equipment and a few 10 GB of wav data :-)
But i'm optimistic. I took a short recording before i started the long
recording. It is for finding the equipment again because i didn't
exactly where i have been in the forest :-) The recording contains the
NMEA data and so the exact location :-)
On this recording i saw that the noise background is MUCH lower than on
the tree and in pre-tests in 5 km distance to the city.
Here is a spectrum of the recording with 250 ms scroll rate:
You see the resonance is a bit sharp and not perfectly on the frequency
but i hope it will work well anyway. It even looks like the gain of the
preamp is not sufficient. On the test QTH in 5 km distance to the city
the gain was high enough (the noise background increased 15 dB relative
to a dummy antenna). So this gives an idea how low the background noise
is in this location!
When this test is completed i will do another one in 30 km distance
with 6 dB more pwoer :-) [...]
Ah BTW here is a photo of the loop in the forest:
Not so easy to find between the trees but it is visible. The
circumference is 40m and the height above ground is maybe 4m.
shows the recording equipment which will hopefully not be stolen...
Am 31.07.2016 00:28, schrieb DK7FC:
17 km distance experiment is running now! I have installed the loop
antenna somewhere in JN49KM. The Raspy is now recording stereo wav
files to the 32 GB USB stick... I'm using 2x 7 Ah lead acid gel
batteries for the supply. 1PPS+NMEA is used on the right channel.