Re: ULF: Key down signal on the 101 km band, still on the air

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ULF: Key down signal on the 101 km band, still on the air
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 15:18:42 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Luis,

Am 31.07.2016 13:53, schrieb VIGILANT Luis Fernández:
Hi Stefan

Very nice experiment down there. Congratulations again :-)
Thanks. But so far there is no result. On monday i will drive there again and hope to find the equipment and a few 10 GB of wav data :-) But i'm optimistic. I took a short recording before i started the long recording. It is for finding the equipment again because i didn't exactly where i have been in the forest :-) The recording contains the NMEA data and so the exact location :-) On this recording i saw that the noise background is MUCH lower than on the tree and in pre-tests in 5 km distance to the city. Here is a spectrum of the recording with 250 ms scroll rate: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/ULF/JN49KM.jpg You see the resonance is a bit sharp and not perfectly on the frequency but i hope it will work well anyway. It even looks like the gain of the preamp is not sufficient. On the test QTH in 5 km distance to the city the gain was high enough (the noise background increased 15 dB relative to a dummy antenna). So this gives an idea how low the background noise is in this location! When this test is completed i will do another one in 30 km distance with 6 dB more pwoer :-)

I have been trying to track your calculations but got lost with your antenna
voltage figures
At 6470Hz with L=1.29H that should be an antena reactance of 52K Ohm, right ?
Right.
Then at 270mA antenna current that should be much more than 3.2KV ?
It will be 6.5 kV then.
Currently i am running 3.2 kV with this arrangement: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/ULF/ULF%20loading%20coil%206.1H.jpg

Another question about your multi turn Rx loop. Any proteccion for nearby
lightings ?
Ehm, no :-) I will see if there is a problem later. I thought it is a low impedant input, a NPN transistor, not a N-CH J-FET or OP AMP. Ah BTW here is a photo of the loop in the forest: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/ULF/20160730_170105.jpg Not so easy to find between the trees but it is visible. The circumference is 40m and the height above ground is maybe 4m. And https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/ULF/20160730_165911.jpg shows the recording equipment which will hopefully not be stolen...

I'm planning to set a VLF Rx here and concerned about this. Would be a good
idea to
short the loop with a relay in case of nearby storm to protect the NPN and Rx
chain ?
I would rather tend to use anti-parallel diodes instead, maybe 2 or 3 pairs in series. Or maybe Z-Diodes. Must be checked if it has an effect on the noise figure.

Where do you want to place it and what is the goal? Will you run a grabber 24/7? Which of the bands is in the focus?

73, Stefan

73 de Luis
EA5DOM