Re: ULF: Key down signal on the 101 km band, still on the air

To: [email protected], Renato Romero <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: ULF: Key down signal on the 101 km band, still on the air
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 00:28:01 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all,

The 100 nW ERP 2970 Hz carrier has been on the air since 26th of June, 13 UTC. The transmitter phase has been stable since this time. There were only a few very short interruptions, 90 minutes on the 17th of July and then about 5 hours (5:45....11 UTC) on the 21st of July.
So it has been on the air since nearly 5 weeks.
The signal is still on the air but tomorrow 8 UTC i will do a frequency shift of + 2.5 mHz. Later i will do an EbNaut test. If someone still want to integrate the overall transmission into one peak, tomorrow, 31th July 8 UTC will be the stop time.

In a few days i will then come back with a 6 dB stronger signal:
Coming from the LF world we assume that using a parallel capacitor to the antenna is not a good idea. More C will mean less L, so you need less wire and could think that this lowers the losses. But higher currents are then needed which will cause even higher losses... Thus i didn't consider to use a parallel C on ULF too. BUT on ULF, with voltage limited systems it can be a good choice! I run the yoghurt cup coil at 270 mA antenna current on my 470 pF antenna at 6470 Hz. So it must have 1.29 H. So at 2970 Hz and 270 mA it must have 6.5 kV! Currently i have about 3.2 kV. So with this alternative matching i will get a 6 dB stronger signal.
I will then need 1.76 nF parallel to the antenna.

My 17 km distance experiment is running now! I have installed the loop antenna somewhere in JN49KM. The Raspy is now recording stereo wav files to the 32 GB USB stick... I'm using 2x 7 Ah lead acid gel batteries for the supply. 1PPS+NMEA is used on the right channel.

73, Stefan