Re: U LF: RE: A first step on the 100 km band

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: U LF: RE: A first step on the 100 km band
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 17:47:16 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim,

Tnx for the contribution. Yes, sure, experiments in the near field range are mostly easy. In fact i want to add a few 10 dB more signal level later. It was just a first step to get a very first impression. The transformer is back on my desk here and i added a small air gap to the ferrite E cores now. This rose the resonance frequency from 3.1 kHz to 4.92 kHz. Now i can add more turns to come back to 2.97 kHz again. Then i can run a higher voltage. Belive me, i didn't calculate to much. I just like winding transformer and listening good music during that time, just like an old house wife knits socks and doesn't know who will weak them later ;-) But of course i need to know some parameters. The wire diameter is just 0.22 mm, so the complete stack will not handle several 100 mA antenna current. But i will see what i can get.

My antenna holds 40 kV (rms) during rain, so there is some room left :-) More precisely: +34 dB or 15 uW ERP could be possible. At 40 kV the antenna current would be 350 mA. I would need 0.4mm wire for that. And 12 transformers in series!

The QRN on ULF / 100 km band is much lower than on 8.27 or 6.47 kHz. But the receiver must be in a very quiet location, only the 'best' RX stns could have a chance to be successful. But there are some in a range below 1000 km here! :-)
So maybe there are certain advantages?!

Before i can ask Paul to try to search for a peak from a one week carrier transmission i have to add some dBs :-)

More soon...

73, Stefan