Re: VLF: EbNaut transmissions on lower frequencies?, pre-tests: 6.47kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: EbNaut transmissions on lower frequencies?, pre-tests: 6.47kHz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 11:30:01 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Paul, VLF,

Am 06.05.2016 02:24, schrieb Paul Nicholson:

Stefan,

Your 200mA carrier comes through well here at 6.47 kHz, nice
signal at 0.14 fT during the night.
That is very nice. Can you show a graph showing a spectrum peak with noise and signal in a reasonable bandwidth?

I'm very happy with my VLF remote grabber, have been impressed by the low man made noise levels above 5 kHz. The diurnal QRN is much lower on 6.47 relative to 8.27. I hope this can be an advantage. Yesterday i have been on the tree, completing the installation of the E-W single turn loop which is now used.
Daytime is 0.04 fT or
below and might be a bit of a struggle.
Oh, such a difference. What could be the reason, propagation? What day/night ration can be found on 8.27? It would be interesting to get the information which band is 'better', when assuming a current limited TX system. On 8.27 kHz the ERP will be 2.1 dB higher then on 6.47 kHz. But maybe the phase stability and diurnal propagation (in a range below 2000km) will be better on 6.47 kHz. On the other side, the average RX system will have a higher man made noise level there.

I don't need any more carrier.  From the raw recording I can
optimise filters and blankers and look at most of the diurnal.
OK, i'm looking forward to your EbNaut decodes of my two transmissions :-) With 0.14 fT there is a real chance i think. As i know you, i think you want to wait with the presentations of your decodes until you've found the best filter+blanker settings to get the best SNR possible.

My next goal is of course the 58 km band, 5.17 kHz, where i have been active just 2 times ( i think) in 2010/2011. Then, i will go lower for the first time. New land!

73, Stefan

--
Paul Nicholson