Re: LF: testing VLF grabber

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: testing VLF grabber
From: "Max IK0VVE" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 02:47:20 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan and all,

GPS is prepared for the job! It was an USB GPS but I've found the 1pps and NMEA pins so to use the USB cable only for power supply.
OK for the second grabber, I disposed also for it as for narrower band, band filter and NB.

A perfect place could be the remote station of RCR-DX in monte Ripoli near Tivoli (http://www.rcr-dx.eu/r-c-r-.html JN61JW) internet connection 50Mbps UP/DW! But it is not so close to my home and I need an hour and half or more to reach this place, if any problem occur I could spend a day to solve it! So for now I would see some place nearby.

Rick (IW4DXW) and Dom (IZ7SLZ) are each about 680 km far from me, the first to North and the second to south east.
I know Rick is transmitting in these hours.

Yesterday I've chenged the RX antenna from 60 wires loop to the TX (un-tuned) antenna of 630m, I've seen signals growing all over the band. So also this could be a point of discussion for the next remote station. May a single turn loop antenna be good also for me?

I'll keep the list updated about my grabbers.

Thank and 73, Max IK0VVE

______________________________

...here some of my HAM Radio projects...

Data: Mon, 02 May 2016 22:40:05 +0200
Oggetto: Re: LF: testing VLF grabber

Hi Max,

That's very nice, i see you know what you do.
Maybe, if you have a GPS module, you want to use pps + NMEA which is the best way to go. Search for NMEA and DL4YHF to find one of his websites describing how it is done and how the signals are combined and fed to the right channel.

Also i can recommend to add a second window to the grabber page (2nd instance) showing 'wideband', 0...24 kHz. So everyone can see if there is QRN or QRM or something wrong or an idea of the frequency response of your system and so on. It has been very helpful on many grabbers, a good overview. Maybe you a scroll rate of 1 min /pixel so everyone can watch a few hours.

After the band filter (BW 3 kHz, 1 kHz slope) you should add the noise blanker (between L4 and L5).

Your idea for a remote operated VLF station is soo nice! If there is anything i can help, don't hesitate to ask! maybe some more stations will follow, you never know who's reading. What will be the locator?

OK about both transmitting stations. Italian pioneers! What is the distance between them and you?

73, Stefan

PS: Today i have installed a single turn loop with transformer into the tree. It is now pointing to N-S again. Also my 200s symbol, 5 ch transmission is finished, so i'm monitoring again, looking into your direction.