Re: VLF: EbNaut transmission on 8270.1 Hz again and again

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: EbNaut transmission on 8270.1 Hz again and again
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 11:34:18 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Error map from Stefan's long transmission,

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/160429a.gif

Each red line indicates a bit error.

I can use this recording to try the suggestion by Markus
to apply some sort of gain control using the adjacent
noise bands.

> What would hve been the shortest symbol length to
> get a decode on your side?

Probably 30 seconds would have worked too, but no less
unless you use a stronger code.

http://abelian.org/ebnaut/calc.php?sndb=25&snbws=10.3e-6&snmps=&code=8K19&sp=30&crc=16&nc=45&submit=Calculate

I've copied 7 of 7 messages from you successfully, that
means you're doing a good job of selecting the symbol
periods.

> why are only German stations transmitting on VLF these days?

No activity from the UK for a couple of years I think.   Not sure
we can blame the need for a Notice of Variation, it isn't very
difficult to apply for.   The T/A east to west is still waiting
to be done and the UK has a geographic advantage there.   I would
have thought it the sort of thing a radio club could field a
team for.

--
Paul Nicholson