Re: LF: LF Receiving (was Alex (R7NT) reports)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF Receiving (was Alex (R7NT) reports)
From: LineOne <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:16:56 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Of course, Mike reminded me, I assumed a receiver of choice will have things like agc fast, slow, on/off and so on plus a noise blanker. One reason for suggesting various tuned circuits depends on the receiver's front end selectivity and IM distortion.

Yes, Chris, I have an active whip with a gain of 100, it will provide 8V peak to peak output before clipping but that's still not enough and it suffers from IM! I'm drawing the circuit and adding a tuned circuit in order to model the response. Could I suggest trying one of these "split field" antennas. I'm working on one now, it seemed to give good results just sitting on the workshop floor and will take care of the "front end " tuning. The only problem is mechanical, how to get a "barrel" of ferrite rods into a weatherproof container and mount it in a high place and, of course, it's directional.

Hugh, M0DSZ