LF: LF Receiving (was Alex (R7NT) reports)

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: LF Receiving (was Alex (R7NT) reports)
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:25:37 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hugh's advice is excellent - adequate sensitvity, a resonant antenna
and good front-end filtering. I would add good dynamic range, an
effective noise blanker and ideally a way to reduce or switch off the
AGC. After fittng the filters, there should still be a large
difference in background noise when the antenna is connected.

Local noise is a major factor, and it may be necessary to have a
separate receive antenna, situated and oriented away from the noise
source.

Lastly, it can help to have a directional (preferably steerable)
antenna to reduce lightning noise away from the wanted direction.

Mike, G3XDV