LF: Old "Coherent" mode

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Old "Coherent" mode
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 07:59:24 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to; bh=C+Nj54H4LNUL5JHGnndmtGk28+ETsWMa3osifmpEJc4=; b=m3j0RBJ6ABSdSDbvhiyAHrMo/LhxMQ46FrBfE1dLTEg1QBoEgjBbWszyXI/taVbBk9 NYOv6CgtWWp91mf/uD9kkHmp9xjBF0rKG5draE24jl7RFUVfn9/pLH9iJwYF1r62sp76 x5Vr6Jyblt9y36iBFHeGlC7gqrfpJknKzPYeugjUKzPMgpbypI1bxLRceVX95TdJZCuZ yoeonHdJfTYfCRjhGqqWL1g84qyfs2VYp7o0EXs6UjkJbUbbDArDwpJIashfzYPWIDHg wEKrKbIaqHX4RGPwsd2DcVURfLJ+qc/MzHeLUZFrrQiaz7Q4npibvLr6UUsK+LhBc+hC A6dQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Back in the last millennium, on 73kHz I remember using a BPSK mode called "Coherent"  by VE1IQ.   I do remember generating raw unfiltered BPSK and casually  'ignoring' its sidebands, and also that the abrupt phase transition led to audible clicks from my antenna loading coil

Purely out of interest (and because I thought I'd include it in a talk on LF operation I'm giving in a couple of weeks) I searched for any details on t'web.   VE2IQ's page still seems to exist, but all references date back to that era - I didn't try downloading the software.

In those pre-soundcard days we had to use hardware audio digitisers on receive, and I remember doing a PIC based one to replace the board of TTL logic otherwise needed.   Still have a PCB on a shelf here labelled "VE2IQ Interface";  it's just an A/D converter and serial interface to a PC, with 8 bit sampling at 7200Hz.

Did Coherent morph into Wolf?  As  they both use the same modulation / baud rate it seems more than coincidence...

Andy  G4JNT