Re: VLF: My first EbNaut decodes

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: My first EbNaut decodes
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:09:50 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

very fine! Yes I'm awaiting your reply, so we can start chatting away happily on Dreamer's Band ;-)

I looked a little more into your data files. The second transmission actually produced another correct decode with slightly lower error rate (38.3 % = -1.2 dB Eb/N0, rank 18409), but this is still much weaker than the first transmission.

The 8270.0025 Hz carriers around the second sequence seemed to be at the same phase before and after it, so there was no glitch. Decoding the carriers themselves with same parameters produced ***** decodes which were weaker than the first EbNaut transmission but stronger than the second:

      UT        Eb/N0   decode
08:30-09:55  2.9dB  FC NM
09:55-11:20  2.1dB    *****
11:30-12:55 -1.2dB  FC NM
12:55-14:20  1.2dB    *****

So it looks like the second transmission exactly hit the midday minimum which is typical for our path at this frequency. Closely inspecting the carrier dashes before and after it, it really looks as if the first dash was slightly decaying, whereas the second one is strongest near the end (zoomed screenshot attached).

All the best,
Markus (DF6NM)