Re: LF: VLF in VO

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF in VO
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:25:38 -0330 (NST)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul and thanks very much for the data.
Unfortunately, after the experiment, the aerial current had decreased
to zero.  It seems a short developed in the tuning coil. A better design
is being considered... 2km of 0.4mm wire is on my Christmas list!

Thank-you Dimitrios for the update on your VLF work and the article.
The rapid decrease in signal with r for r<lambda/2pi is very evident
here.   I had hoped to use Spectrum Lab to extend the detection
range until the coil could take no more QRO abuse!
There were some errors in my VLF report:  The coil was 0.47H not 0.35H
and the XFMR was 1:5 not 5:1 (turns).  This is  1:25 wrt impedance.
It was wound with 0.4 mm wire on a torroid ferrite (1.5x5x8cm) with about
4 mH for each of the 6 windings.  The secondary has 5 windings in
series.

Markus, the frequency word needs to be revised.  It has a rounding
error.  I think it's time to rebuild the exciter with a Raspi that
can handle 32 bit floating math.  Thanks for the reminder.

A 3 hour carrier on 137.777 kHz is QRV starting 0900 22 Dec UTC.

73
Joe VO1NA

PS Don't forget SAQ on Christmas Eve.