Re: LF: Decode EbNaut and thrash a PC

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Decode EbNaut and thrash a PC
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 15:10:32 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=NMBvj2/3hObmYUd1XnFpp9g4WvNFh4Kd31jmhtw03ro=; b=snAq4exPtW/iY0qdELi48Zex6E83tdC7cdUuMk6n5Vew+dCR0h9T7TencFc6u17mE0 nM1QWWIiUKtH+oEn0JCh3S4PN6mAm2GvjdlZd4KXlMTDB743uzdCaBjvsm2q0F+UhNmL NnSlIZA920f24cP0hfmt4s6C42jTL8aHa1Vf5h+7Yka/d/J6VSUYEoYHqsJ5gbNpWAWg dhkJw+uUgoXyHRSoySas7BL9yt4yM1jJDXEUH+1KacJlYpd5zOLQ3dStEXm4ybk3Dc5J 3B+13pZeXaREjG6HN+au1OVE4jAfh9pWds8rVTjQC2KLwW3jbUxcy8WSIfAssFZex028 NO9w==
Sender: [email protected]
I don't know that model - but with an HP tag it's likely to be one of
the 'good ones' .

In direct answer to your question, nothing will compare with Caesium -
although I don't think you really meant that :-)   Cs is a standard in
its own right, not something you can lock.  Unless you have a hydrogen
maser perhaps? (I suppose you could try using that to control the
Zeeman line magnetic field compensation - but you'd have to use a PLL
time constant of a few decades or centuries to do it properly!)

It is unlikely to be as good as a GPS disciplined Rb reference, but
even that would only be near-perfect if the time constant were made
long enough and it didn't use a frequency locked loop creating  steps
to correct as certain well known GPSDO designs do.

For a look at the state of the art in amateur timekeeping, this site
takes some beating http://leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm

Andy