LF: Dropbox alternatives, private file hosting!?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Dropbox alternatives, private file hosting!?
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:42:42 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all,

We're sharing a lot of stuff here on the reflector. Quite often and since some years, dropbox is used to do the job. Now there are a few reasons why one can decide to leave dropbox and find alternatives. Owncloud is a popular program which runs a private server (at home!) offering space as high as the storage mdeium connected., e.g. a HDD. I was searching for a program running on the Raspberry Pi because it's power consumption is just 2...3 watts and it's Linux based (i also want to leave windows step by step!). I successfully installed SEAFILE now. The storage is a 32 GB USB stick connected to the Raspi. Now i'm running this server 24/7. So far it is connected by WLAN but it should be better to connect it by a LAN cable for higher speed (Videos!). The links provided are in https. Therefore i had to build my own security certificate (using a tool named openssl). Of course this certificate is not registered anywhere, thus your web browser will say it is not secure. Anyway it is. It's just homemade :-)

What i'm missing on that seafile software is the possibility to host a website, e.g. for a grabber :-( This function is available in dropbox. I'm still searching an easy solution. But with some more effort it can be done on the Raspi as well, i bet...

Just for your information, regarding the message of a security problem of the below link...

73, Stefan