Re: LF: Phase shifts on 137.777 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Phase shifts on 137.777 kHz
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 22:05:44 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I found a way to seamlessly stitch together data chunks from a sequence of partially-overlapping exported FFT's, allowing me to analyze phase evolution over arbitrary periods of time. Attached plot is magnitude and phase over three hours of your phase-switching transmission from Sat/Sun, Nov 21/22. Using 10 second averaging, the alternations every 50 s and the carrier gaps are clearly visible. To obtain flat phase over time, a -0.16 mHz offset was needed, implying that your center frequency was actually 137776.99984 Hz ;-)

Recordings have been switched on again, and we are hoping to receive a message from your cat tonight.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:47 AM

Yes your signal is really good now! Not exactly "audible" here but easily visible in Stefan's QRSS-10 slot, and sometimes faintly discernible in my wideband colour-DF in 0.67 Hz FFT bins.

The QRM has ended at 23:03. I'm sure it was just an unintentional coincidence, and the OM might not have been aware of our TA experiments.

Interestingly, our cat (his name yet undisclosed) has also come upstairs and made his bed beside the receiver. Would you be ready to send EbNaut sequences tonight? My receiving method is currently set up for 32 minute FFT chunks and is thus limited to half-hour sequences. So 4 s symbols at 8k19A may turn out too long for any meaningful message. One or two seconds would be fine, and given your signal strength and frequency accuracy, a fine-search for the actual starttime would be quite feasible. Paul is recording continuously and does not have a length limitation.

All the best,
Markus

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: LF: Phase shifts on 137.777 kHz - QRM now

Hello Markus and Paul,

There is much jubilation at this QTH thanks to your spectra, reports and
encouragement! Our cat is waiting with bated breath for you to receive
its name on LF.

Advancing the phase by 16pi was to no avail, but an XOR between the
divider and 4427 driver seems to have done the trick.

I think 4 seconds will be good for symbol length until I can sync the
arduino accurately to UT.  At the moment I have to do it by ear!

A new and better aerial was raised today so things are looking up.

Thanks to the EbNaut Experts!

Joe