Re: LF: LF receiver

To: Mike Dennison <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: LF receiver
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 13:56:24 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Mike,

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

> 2E0ILY wrote:

>> I  need to work on my RX, my station seems deaf in comparison to many
>> other  UK  ones, so I am going to investigate what I can do to improve
>> things

> Chris, What receiver are you using? By how much does the background
> noise go down when you disconnect the antenna (ideally replacing the
> antenna with a 50-ohm resistor)? Do you have any local QRM? Are you
> using a separate receive antenna, or the transmitting one?

> Mike, G3XDV
> ===========

I  used  to  use the TS-590 for RX, but then a friend bought me a gift
over, a kit from here:

http://icas.to/lineup/idc-136ii-kit-eng.htm

I used this new kit with a PA0RDT style active mini whip antenna I
built, mounted under the VHF / UHF vertical atop my mast at about 30
feet high. Last night I tried using the TX aerial with this same
receiver. I think the results are none conclusive. I am loathe to tie
up my HF transceiver 24 hours a day, just listening on LF, and am
happy to spend a few bob buying or building something standalone and
decent. I will get the noise figures, I run HDSDR as the software to
tune and "see" the LF signals. I do know that my TX antenna raises the
noise floor considerably over the active one. With the active one the
gain of the receiver needs to be at or near maximum. With the
horizontal loop / vertical / tuned coil as an RX antenna the gain
needs to be at the lower end.

I  am  in  the  sticks  with  a  fairly low noise level unless someone
(sometimes myself...) has an electric fence shorting out. Thanks Mike.

--
Best regards,
 Chris  2E0ILY                          mailto:[email protected]