Re: LF: EA5DOM going vertical

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: EA5DOM going vertical
From: VIGILANT Luis Fernández <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:59:34 +0000
Accept-language: es-ES, en-US
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan

>>The output transformer inside the PA or do you have an external one?

The PA uses one between FET and output filter. Actually the vertical is directly connected
to the PA output. No matching transformer and no loading coil. It was a crazy test
but works ......

>BTW i recommend to use separate primary and secondary windings on the transformer to decouple >the system. This also helps to avoid QRM/TVI to others. A correctly wound transformer is cold, even >at 100W passing through it. Otherwise it saturates! Then you need more turns on the primary side! >This is a first thing that you could check by winding a 1:1 transformer and see if it stays cool when >running full power into a dummy load for a few minutes.
>I guess your loss resistance could be in the range of 50 Ohm, so you may need a 1:1.4 winding ratio.
>You will see...

For the transformer I plan to recycle the one osed for the loop. It has two big toroids 80mm external diameter
and 8mm thick. Both joined make 16mm thick. Unfortunately don't know which is the material used

Can be primary and secondary be wounded one on top of the other ?? or is better to keep them apart
I think there is enought place to make them separated in the ferrite ring

Good idea to test a 1:1 into a dummy load. I'll do that :-)

Tonight reports on my remote monitor are 3dB down. I made a modification
I have finally connected a wire from top terrace to the fire extinguish pipe which runs inside the building down
to the basements, were pumping system is located. The wire is not yet connected to the ground side of the vertical
BUT the actual radial counterpoise runs parallel to this wire for about 5m

Seems like this can be the cause of 3dB looses.  Keep tuned !

73 de Luis
EA5DOM