LF: 5V DC/DC modules for LF/MF

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 5V DC/DC modules for LF/MF
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 16:30:13 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all,

My remote MF system is down at the moment, for doing some upgrades and improvements.

I'm replacing a DC/DC converter which supplies the Raspi with a constant 5V voltage.

So far i used a LM2596 module, available e.g. at amazon
It was running well with almost no QRM to the RX. It's fixed switching frequency is at 150 kHz. That's a bit close to LF and the 3rd harmonic is close to MF! I sometimes saw a weak drifting trace on MF.

Now the new one is a Kis-3r33s module, also available at amazon. This one is running at 333 kHz, far away from LF and MF, also it's harmonics.

The main aspect is the efficiency though! I defined a power saving mode (5V*89mA) and a full power mode (5V*430mA) for the Raspi. Normally the system runs at full power 24/7.

The LM2596 module has 77.8% efficiency in power saving mode and 78.5% in full power mode.
The Kis-3r33s module has 83.9% efficiency in power saving mode and 89.9% in full power mode!

By exchanging this module, is can save 57 mA on the 12V-battery side!!! :-) This is about 1.4 Ah or 17 Wh per day, which is a LOT for a solar powered system. So the remote MF system is now consuming 2.4 W permanently.

Just to share this measurement in case someone of you is running a similar system.

73, Stefan