Re: LF: eclipse observations on Twente WebSDR

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: eclipse observations on Twente WebSDR
From: Pieter-Tjerk de Boer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:02:56 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Roelof and others,

At my location, the 189 kHz signals also had a dip before the peak, like
you describe.
The dip and peak are less pronounced (i.e., fewer dBs) here than the
numbers you mention, but that may be due to bandwidth differences; my
measurements were in about 400 Hz of bandwidth.

Could you have a look at the 216 kHz signal in your recording?
On my receiver, it had a dip of about 20 dB, and no peak, which I find
surprising.

I've added more detailed signal strength plots, and a map of the eclipse
timing, to my webpage ( http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~ptdeboer/ham/eclipse2015/
).
It turns out the peak on 189 kHz is about 3.5 minutes earlier than on
207 kHz. This nicely matches the fact that the 207 kHz transmitter is in
the east of Iceland, while 189 kHz is in the west. On Iceland itself
the eclipse was about 5 minutes later in the east than in the west.
Where the radio paths cross the totality zone, the difference is about
3.5 minutes.
Also, the maximum signal strength lags the maximum eclipse by about 3
minutes.

73, Pieter-Tjerk, PA3FWM