Re: LF: Radio Focussing by Solar Eclipse?

To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Radio Focussing by Solar Eclipse?
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:51:33 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Peter, thanks for sharing this plot! The intense and well defined peak would indeed suggest something like a focal point sweeping over the receiver. The 1999 eclipse must have had almost ideal geometry, with the moon's shadow crossing the middle of the path from Prangins to Kiel.

Especially on longer paths, we may actiually have two distinct effects: One is the decreasing D-layer absorption, opening the way to lossless refraction in higher layers. This is surely also the explanation of the "quasi-nighttime" boost of MF signals. On the other hand, there may be that proposed lense-effect, creating a localized and moving focus point for the reflection off the bottom layer conductivity gradient.

Taking another look at yesterday's 100 kHz plots http://df6nm.bplaced.net/LoranView/eclipse/Loran_Eclipse_150320_plots.png, we may actually find an indication for both effects: Three traces from northerly stations (Jan Mayen, Eide, Bo) exhibit a large and unsymmetrical hump (10 to 12 dB), beginning around 9:20 UT when the penumbra begins to invade the North Sea. But on top of the Jan Mayen hump there rides a little "hat", a small extra peak (~ 2 dB) at 9:53, just when the central shadow crosses this path. No such thing appears on the Ejde trace, and maybe a very small effect on Bo at 9:59.

I had first thought that the small peak was insignificant and might have been caused by a solar flare, but there was none at the time. I would now propose that the small peak is due to the focusing effect.

In principle, arbitrary maxima and minima can also be caused by a variable-phase skywave relative to a fixed groundwave; this has been included in Micha's simulation. However at these much larger ranges (2000 km and up), the groundwave contribution at 100 kHz is already rather weak. In addition, Loran pulses are relatively wideband, and the applied "total energy" postprocessing incoherently sums up differently delayed pulse components, reducing the effect of relative phase.

All the best,
Markus (DF6NM)

Peter DF3LP wrote:

Mentioned in the article but not shown in this version:
http://lf-radio.de/misc/eclipse/eclipse_1999.png
The reason was, that I used a different method:
selective level meter and DVM with serial output.

73 de df3lp,
Peter