LF: RE: Local VLF experiments in 3HD

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Local VLF experiments in 3HD
From: "hvanesce" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:08:46 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20121106; t=1391105350; bh=FVGZ2CaEcKls0JPaa4Lcii14A13ASB4tZquvINcfLwI=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=oSrKFdfrfCo1qqzz2aicO31bDYtTkL/HPAMYrQOH2ZjrZPRr/PEoUl4z/vjNxlBn4 g68cn6/laoK9PyMVc6mXDcb6hkD01veHwN6mRHFN1wTP9yzFo0jEuuCVVrV59P0tko oTV1R8lhJZDkmnv3RBUnZ6jsZ7uSQoN6PB0HJLw9tAegWzeLFUdlaX9fig1glyVJG4 eh5chAZMnT76IllRx62Mj73SGBBT+TUVvhfznW6Hd+lFUInbKtXQTg6uHlxew5IO+H qf7nllqt/LXggRHWMZ5RC4HshfQgjUfNDJcGwneVPG0hnBLDNNmkmYMxG/BXpH4Ixn ziYXsMZ/kWQUA==
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan,

Is the TX antenna horizontal? (Like a standard dipole or end-fed?). I wanted to confirm, because a short horizontal antenna in the VLF is an interesting case (in theory, near-field strength similar to a vertical antenna,  far-field strength less than a vertical antenna, and field strength at intermediate distances more or less than a vertical antenna depending on exact distance, soil conductivity and other factors). Performance at any distance would be interesting, and especially at distances of 1km or longer.

On another topic, I have some new, stable oscillators, including a very stable oscillator that should support bandwidths less than 50 uHz for 24 hours with or without GPS, over a wide temperature range. I am interfacing two oscillators to SpecLab today (one oscillator for indoor use and the other for portable RX use). After the oscillators are interfaced to SpecLab, I will be able to set up a 2-axis VLF grabber (online), and also do some meaningful VLF TX tests. In the past my VLF TX tests have been limited by oscillator drift in the portable outdoor receiver that I use to measure the TX field at long ranges. Now I should be able to perform TX tests at 50uHz and narrower bandwidths for days at a time, at long distances (I can leave the very-stable GPS-independent oscillator with an RX at remote locations for long periods, regardless of temperature swings, to measure TX field strength).

I’m looking forward to hearing about your tests; 5.7kHz is an interesting frequency from a propagation standpoint, and the antenna performance will be quite interesting.

73,  Jim AA5BW