Re: LF: Tasmania?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Tasmania?
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 13:59:32 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Edgar,

yes crosscorrelation  would be possible, but I doubt that there will be a large additional benefit.

One method would be image-based spectrogram cross correlation. Some time ago I have tried that on earlier DX captures. When the search was fed with a correctly sized template, it automatically produced a correlation peak at the right freqiuency and time offset. However when the peak was strong enough to be statistically significant, at least part of the pattern was also clearly visible in the first place. The naked eye seems to be pretty good at detecting simple patterns in the noise.

Such a correlation process is linear and thus additive, in the sense that a random very bright voxel might contribute as much energy to the correlation result as a weaker matching structure. However regarding extra certainty, you would rather have an "AND" (or multiplicative) connection of individual parts: If the signature contains three dashes, and each of them alone has a 20% false positive probability, the total false rate should be more like 0.2^3 = 0.8%.

Another option would be going back to the original complex waveform and using phase-sensitive correlation. This would have a significant advantage if the message were spread over a large number of symbols, which can then be added coherently (like in Op deep search). But with only three or five dashes, there's not really much to gain. Also the phase-evolution has to be known a priori or modelled, which is a bit more difficult for a DFCW signal (integer duration * shift, eg 240s * 0.075Hz = 18 ?), and over an unstable path.

From my point of view, the best contribution to a "proof" would now be verifying the receiver's frequency calibration offset. On yesterday's screenshots, the HGA22 line seemed to be just half a pixel below the tick. Simply by zooming in on it you could measure the offset much better, even though the line is spread by some tens of milliHz due to the FSK modulation. Last year I took some effort to measure HGA's idle frequency in detail against a calibrated Rubidium source. The result was 135430.022 Hz, with only very little variation of a milliHz or so (see attached).

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)