Re: LF: Re: RE: Hartmut's Grabber On Last Night...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: RE: Hartmut's Grabber On Last Night...
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 01:00:25 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Alan,

based on Loran-C measurements, I would agree on the ballpark figure of -6 dB per hop. Not sure though if land reflections are really so much worse than seawater, as for low angle incidence the reflection coefficient may still be close to unity.

> A 16dB fade suggests 20dB or so difference in amplitude.

No. -20 dB = 0.1 x amplitude for the weaker signal. But 1+-0.1 = 1.1...0.9, which would be a very flat fade (1.74 dB max to min). To produce deep fades, the signals would need to be rather similar in magnitude.

73,
Markus (DF6NM)