RE: LF: 74.5495 QRSS 60 2300 till 0500+Mike

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: 74.5495 QRSS 60 2300 till 0500+Mike
From: "hvanesce" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:34:37 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20121106; t=1382110505; bh=V41N7oRlN50q8LuTAI87+Pjj5jHKuphIZE9uGHVfMrs=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=dLHNv0lKGbY+3zr/mxZVYSgH0ue9BaK8BRdBdd+PSCi+QDGpGwFUK6NWJ7/Fulimf T5Kqmp3YIUHSwytTD1t7zjDZI5vdIsOGwRynjMt9VOxiXWsOt24mFXySz+M/DXOwka ZD0ZtMUj6VVqlMspOhXzNL/zNa7Q5Fou8fmm3VnssuByviKEUWYZU7dO0rcCnGJyJZ xgfFfq8cdQpR5XO3hGJaouWTh3a1CKju11F3xWtbospxBfJ9a9WG3vsY1YD4MRH9G6 rdXx2GWKgUp2Gzq7MyWRwC0gGj0kO/LGbPcq39nru/vRHer2dDbFeCJx8sslQ4vs3P L2HN4uH9K5HWA==
Sender: [email protected]

I’ll second Mike’s motion of fascinating, including Bob’s perspective on relative SNR between captures by Hartmut, Henny and Mike.

On long-term average one might expect a path loss of a dB or so between QTHs of Mike and Henny (for a signal originating from Bob’s QTH), and a path loss of 3 dB or so between QTHs of Mike and Hartmut (for a signal originating from Bob’s QTH). I eyeballed SNRs from 3 nights’ captures between October 13th and last night, and on two of those nights, relative SNRs between the RX QTHs are not inconsistent with the above (give or take a few dB, and with some indication of a system SNR advantage at Mike’s RX). But last night, if my subjective reading of the grabber plots is in the ballpark, max and average SNR at Mike’s RX may have been up to 10dB above max and average SNR at QTHs of Hartmut and Henny. In other words, the differences (a-b, b-c, c-a, see following)  between the overnight average SNRs (for periods of readability) at QTHs of  (a) Mike, (b) Henny and (c) Hartmut may have varied by perhaps as much as (5dB?) over 3 nights’ captures between October 13th and last night; and the difference between the overnight max SNRs (for a few characters) at QTHs of Mike, Henny and Hartmut may have varied by perhaps as much as (7dB?) over 3 nights’ captures between October 13th and last night.

For this T/A path distance, modal reinforcement/cancellation shouldn’t be huge, but I wonder:

a)      Could it be a contributor to the above?

b)      Could cross-polarized RX antennas help to even things out over distance and time in this case?

I use loop RX antennas in my AZ QTH as cultural noise in the desert is not a big problem; and these are easy to cross-polarize. Are loop RX antennas not used for cultural noise reasons in most of the RX equipment in this group?

Regards,

Jim

AA5BW