Re: LF: Decca Experts - Converting Red to Purple ?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Decca Experts - Converting Red to Purple ?
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 19:59:18 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Warren
I have all the original handbooks for the Decca 5501 range if you need specific info let me know. The low band versions have a different Capacitor board and are easy to mod for 73 Khz
The higher band versions are not so convenient to mod for 73 but more suited to 136.
I have 2 x 5501 units for the high band modified for 136 but fortunately I have 2 x C boards  for the low band so I just need to modify the Coils for 73 if we got this band again
I was active on 73 towards the end but by then nearly everyone had moved to 136
Most hams in the UK were using modified Audio amps on 73 and I do not recall anyone using the decca on that band at the time. Decca amps were not avai

Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:28 AM
Subject: LF: Decca Experts - Converting Red to Purple ?

Hello to all of the Decca Navigator experts out there...

    I have an unconverted Decca 5501 transmitter which is marked "Red" - I believe that is 112kHz - would like to run it on 73kHz.  The tank coil reads about 80uH, can I just pad it down with more "C" to get to 73kHz or would that mess up the L/C ratio and thus lower the loaded "Q" ?

    Another question - anyone have a spare "Purple" Decca on 71kHz that they would consider parting with?

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ