LF: Fw: Decca Experts - Converting Red to Purple ?

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Fw: Decca Experts - Converting Red to Purple ?
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:08:37 +0100
Cc: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]

Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: LF: Decca Experts - Converting Red to Purple ?

Warren
I have all the original handbooks for the Decca 5501 range if you need specific info let me know. The low band versions have a different Capacitor board and are easy to mod for 73 Khz
The higher band versions are not so convenient to mod for 73 but more suited to 136.
I have 2 x 5501 units for the high band modified for 136 but fortunately I have 2 x C boards  for the low band so I just need to modify the Coils for 73 if we got this band again
I was active on 73 towards the end but by then nearly everyone had moved to 136
Most hams in the UK were using modified Audio amps on 73 and I do not recall anyone using the decca on that band at the time. Decca amps were not available in the early days of 73
Modes at the time were CW and QRSS
mal/g3kev

Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:28 AM
Subject: LF: Decca Experts - Converting Red to Purple ?

Hello to all of the Decca Navigator experts out there...

    I have an unconverted Decca 5501 transmitter which is marked "Red" - I believe that is 112kHz - would like to run it on 73kHz.  The tank coil reads about 80uH, can I just pad it down with more "C" to get to 73kHz or would that mess up the L/C ratio and thus lower the loaded "Q" ?

    Another question - anyone have a spare "Purple" Decca on 71kHz that they would consider parting with?

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ