LF: Re: Was Fire in the wire

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Was Fire in the wire
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 01:41:49 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Warren, Laurence,

the earth losses beneath the loop could either be inductive or capacitive. In reality probably both, but which effect dominates depends on voltages, surroundings (branches etc), and also ground conductivity (higher conductivity increases eddy currents but lowers capacitive losses). Ideally you would have maximum voltage at the capacitor terminals and zero in the middle of the loop. One way to generally reduce voltages for a given inductance would be to split the resonance C into several larger pF capacitors in series, distributed around the circumference. This is often done with MRI loop antennas ("surface coils") to minimize resistive coupling to the patient's skin.

Best 73,
Markus