Re: LF: 630m Narrow Keyboard Mode

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 630m Narrow Keyboard Mode
From: g3zjo <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 16:46:04 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Further information :-
 I am running 15.625Hz Wide GMSK The frequency shift is half the bit rate.

Here I include some quotes.
Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying, or to give it its full title Gaussian filtered Minimum Shift Keying, GMSK, is a form of modulation used in a variety of digital radio communications systems. It has advantages of being able to carry digital modulation while still using the spectrum efficiently.
GMSK modulation is based on MSK, which is itself a form of continuous-phase frequency-shift keying. One of the problems with standard forms of PSK is that sidebands extend out from the carrier. To overcome this, MSK and its derivative GMSK can be used.

There are several advantages to the use of GMSK modulation for a radio communications system. One is obviously the improved spectral efficiency when compared to other phase shift keyed modes.
(PSK31 for instance although this mode is also using Varicode).
It is immune to amplitude variations and therefore more resilient to noise, than some other forms of modulation. A further advantage of GMSK is that it can be amplified by a non-linear amplifier and remain undistorted.

Eddie G3ZJO