Re: LF: A good night on 472

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: A good night on 472
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 12:23:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Pete,

That's interesting - I am also continuously trying to improve the RX situation here (and at the club station DF0WD) with different levels of success. Tried various miniwhips (original; with other transistors; with parallel resonant filters at the frontend; etc) but never got it working as successfully as others. At the club, the wire antenna still performs best (with the antenna ground disconnected from mains ground during RX).
At home, an active loop antenna, operating into a low impedance amplifier, works best (even much better than a tuned resonant loop) because it's more immune to E-field pickup.
Noise levels on a 500 kHz wide spectrum are also lower on 472 kHz than on 500 kHz; possibly less gadgets here (like DC/DC converters designed to operate on ..guess what.. 500 kHz) :

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/vishay/71815.pdf

73,
  Wolf .