LF: Re: Comparing earth-electrode v. Marconi antenna on 472kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Comparing earth-electrode v. Marconi antenna on 472kHz
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 00:10:08 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1357692200; bh=/M/p5rzGkAFB/I2p5wFmF9oaoiEeL/VXeRoCRqlmEHk=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=3+ttH3kfBp7MG3A4UWPg/luwrud/qeCyGMN8aIiTofM9eRXwqXx86+BV1a4DPYvFY/ysL4pDP3PMBuJ7+Dd5Ol33GDdl0y3Ak/eb4/rQMvUhW3u4N0no3QSnljVJhcXnpIX32dhkzIMnlpY5ij2ptcskPrN/Yo1TzcZRPQ/IMS4=
Sender: [email protected]
There is nothing wrong with the "science" of doing simple experiments Roger ......The bad science is if you try to read too much into them......which you have not done. Your results do align with the books in the subject though most are for ELF. It doesnt work this way for everyone it depends on local ground conditions.....thats why there is always so much discussion :-))

I cant remember the detail but the skin depth of your ground at 500k is probablty quite shallow but it probably could still be several feet  giving a reasonable area loop, and the conductivity must be quite good.

Graham's idea of a TWA is feasible but I think it is too short(normal requirement 300 to 900 m) to have directionality, not  terminated, and too low ar this frequency. TWAs usually work best on receive over poor ground and would very inefficient as transmitting aerials. But any bit of wire will act as an aerial and there is no guarantee there is a single mode of operation :-))

Alan
G3NYK