LF: Re: More earth electrodes tests at 472kHz

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: More earth electrodes tests at 472kHz
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:26:44 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=2Bm8+73m9uQrK5eB7ZatxDLTA8GvdOTr0+aGTdx+cRI=; b=nJAerH2zHuas3CDD/a5lbxgy3TnWlVPB7HHYvYpR59fCL4Dy+HP4yb5mlxRMEpDKbN H9xo4MLlwoVtxw9gnSxAUoSVilMnJMKyInbd/L80SiGiPKE9L24Iz+zi7oYvGRAdp62S nKRNrQ2aR3rmY89Q4hPBfvZiLPXxipSTmqS/A/CWdEo5OwYJrvsJlO5KfMw+K0AFxRCM esTd8T8lldAMPB3JLCBdnfWEfhpODnM089Sf2yeEv4Qpf72AnAG/yF1MvxLwBtJ2WFqB Biwv5ElbZrtht2bDam3ZWyci8UlEjMhDmkI2vMZhXJK0DN5o8YypzOUxLCgnr4Nc1tq4 DwHw==
Sender: [email protected]
As icing on the cake of this evening's experiment with earth electrodes, DJ8WX has just been copied on the 15m earth electrode "non antenna". Everything (PC, transverter and FT817 and SignaLink interface) was on battery supply and there is absolutely no connection to the mains earth or to copper pipes in the home. The vertical antenna is not resonant and is disconnected, so no mutual coupling likely. The last few reports (1754 until I went QRT just after 1800) were on the "all battery, 2 earth rods separated by 15m" set-up. Best report was from G0KTN at 210km, but I am pretty confident that much further is possible.

So, if anyone thinks they cannot erect a "proper" antenna for 472kHz I urge them to consider this idea. Clearly it will be many dB down on a proper large Marconi, but heck this is SO simple and the results are pretty decent for a 10W transverter output.

I shall resume 472kHz testing with the 2 earth rods set-up at bed-time - struggling to get enough internet signal to allow the PC to time sync in the rear downstairs study where currently set-up without all the internal doors being wide open, HI. I'll then leaving it running overnight.

Although the most likely explanation is "loop in the ground" H-field antenna I still don't quite accept this as the only mechanism. To get the results I do suggest the effective "loop in the ground" must be very large to receive the decent reports I do when compared with the Marconi, whose ERP I can reasonably well calculate. With wet, saturated soil, I find this "large loop in the ground" not really credible.  Is there any way this can also be considered an E-field TX antenna?

73s
Roger G3XBM