Re: LF: T/A

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: T/A
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:12:50 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Jay,

thanks for the comments. Well honestly there hasn't been much change in the TX setup here, no secret tricks and no "solid one watt" here.

About a month ago one of the neighbour families had a 12 m fir tree chopped down in the vicinity of my antenna, which has reduced losses and presumably also E-field shunting a bit. The antenna losses are now about 22 ohms. I have gained about a dB by reworking the matching between the class-D and antenna, which increased the output from 250 to about 320 watts, producing 3.8 amps on an average day.

I did recently remeasure the effective height by comparing received DCF-39 voltage against a small nonresonant loop, and still got only 8.5 m (without the tree), ie 24 milliohm radiation resistance at LF. Thus antenna efficiency is 0.11% and ERP is 0.64 W.

Regarding receive, I have tried to improve the crossed loops by making them larger and higher. The increased bandwidth has helped to stabilize the colours of my RDF system. I have then also reinstalled the indoor goniometer configuration, which in combination with the Marconi makes a rotatable cardioid with good F/B ratio. Unfortunately there hasn't been much benefit in this as the SNR performance of the loops is still rather mediocre, due to severe pickup from DSL (the data uplink spectrum starts at 138 kHz) and power lines.

Thanks for the continuous monitoring!

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 1:33 PM
Subject: LF: T/A

Markus

'Best Of' from last night at  http://www.w1vd.com/interestinggrab.html . Would still like details on the big improvement in your signal this season. Only minor improvements on the rx setup here so it must be on your end. Hoping it isn't a 'trade secret'  ;~)

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2