LF: GRRRRR!! Now i know...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: GRRRRR!! Now i know...
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 01:57:40 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Oh now, i can't belive it. Must tell you that:

All the years i suffered from QRM which seemed to come from DLF at 153 kHz. Now as i installed the new wideband LF/MF probe i got even more QRM. The design is not so far from the PA0RDT design. After increasing the antenna by another meter on the top of the roof i got worse signals than before.

Yesterday i found that it must be a resonance on the cable since i could reduce the effect dramatically by adding a 1 nF C and a 1 kOhm R on the RX end.
But i still saw IM. This was the problem with all my previous antennas. The signals levels are close to the noise floor but when i increased the probe C it became worse....

Now i checked this oscillation on an oscilloscope. By adding some C or R i could reduce the amplitude of the signal but never the frequency, which is strange. Then i noticed that it is AM !!!!! So it must be a transmitter very close to me since the signal levels were 4V pp here, and this started to cause noticable IM on LF and MF.

I checked the web with some keywords like "radio" and "heidelberg" and quickly found this

It is AFN in Heidelberg on 1143 kHz. This is a AM transmitter running 1 kW in about 1 km distance!
http://www.asamnet.de/~bienerhj/1143-HD.html#1143-HD
It is a 100m tower. I never noticed it since i live here, odd.
Here one can read that AFN Heidelberg will be QRT on MF very soon: http://www.afneurope.net/Home/ArticleDisplayDD/tabid/649/Default.aspx?aid=25644

So now, that may explain why my RX site often suffered from QRM. And that explains why a resonated circuit in front of the first active device in my E field antennas were always the best solution for me!

I don't want to wait until they go QRT but i'm looking forward to see the difference in the noise background when they go off. For now i need some kind of filter and i have to take care that the input of the first JFET does not become overloaded.

Will go on investigating!...

73, Stefan/DK7FC