Re: LF: T/A and recent LF/MF changes at DK7FC and a more available MF Gr

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: T/A and recent LF/MF changes at DK7FC and a more available MF Grabber
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 15:55:06 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Jay, LF,

A late thank you for the report and capture.

Short report what is new and happend here:
We had a loss of our web- and mail-server here for more than 1 day, so i don't know if my previous answer to your email is lost or came through...

I also lost the contact to my old notebook which i exclusively use to generate tones for steering the PA. It is mounted in a fixed and closed position, so i can't see the screen, only by using a teamviever remote software access. But now i'm back and will put some more kWh of RF energy into the iono :-)

Ah BTW, i did some changes on my LF receive antenna. Beeing impressed by the excellent performance of the Twente WEB SDR and my need to have another fixed antenna installation for 472 kHz i decided to try a new active E field antenna circuit. The design is now a step closer to the PA0RDT design (now using a wideband input, a source follower in the first stage, i.e. no voltage gain).
But the main and very significant improvement was achieved by trying another location. This is only 2m higher from the top of the building, i.e. now in 37m AGL. It is fixed on a pole of a WX station. I never expected such a difference. The complete building seems to be covered by a QRM-cloud which greatly decreases with the distance, even in that little height difference.

Now i can see the 630m band much more clear and several QRM lines disappeared. The same applies to LF! Also the LF/MF background noise is now not any more affected by the nearby resonant transmit antenna (not at all!). This is only due to the location (i made a test with the new antenna circuit on the old location). So now it is moch more easy to become QRV on MF, which was the goal.

Still not sure but maybe my LF reception is much better now. I will rise the antenna height by another 1...2m. Then i will give LF CW a new chance :-) However there is still a local drifting noise source which rises my LF noise floor...

Yesterday i worked DD7PC on 472.5 kHz who was a real 599 here, stronger than all NDBs.

I discovered the world of receiving instead of transmitting ;-) Due to the RX improvements i will receive in OP32 and WSPR in the coming days, transmissions apprechiated!
My MF RX shall be running permanently, allowing to run a more permanent available MF grabber to coordinate activity and check the band as seen here. http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_MF_Grabber.html

I have to do some more tests and mods to the equipment but am optimistic to have a good progress.

73, Stefan/DK7FC