LF: Displaying LF stations and worked DX in google maps

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Displaying LF stations and worked DX in google maps
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:29:54 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
LF/MF/VLF,

After searching a long time for learning how to display the locations of worked (worked means here 1-way and 2-way contacts, mixed) LF stations in google maps, i have now found one way to go.

This is done as follows:

-First, the location of a station must be set.
-This can be done by using the locator of a certain station, place it into the box of http://no.nonsense.ee/qthmap/
-Copy the latitude / longitude data in the info box
-Paste it into the search field of the Google earth program
-Create and save the path to your own location in google earth too.
-Save all the locations in a specific folder, e.g. "LF" to allow en-/disable the showing of LF or e.g. alternatively MF stations

(Now you can display all the contacts in google earth, which is nice for yourselfe. But the information can't be published so that people can zoom into the map. It is also a 3D map, no options for a 2D display in google earth)

-Now save the content of this folder in a .KMZ file
-Publish that file, e.g. in Dropbox.  (BTW this link can be opened by other google earth users directly!)
-Paste the link in a google maps window by pasting the bublic link of the KMZ file behind this text: http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&q=

Now you can see all the stations in a google maps window and you can share this link to others. It is of course possible to zoom into the map now.

-------

An example:
My very incomplete stored LF locations and paths of worked stations are in a folder named "LF". I saved the content as a KMZ file and put it in my dropbox. This is the public link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/LF.kmz

Now this text link is displayed in google maps by using this link: http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&q=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/LF.kmz

-------

Disadvantages: The lines showing the path are not shown as curves but as a straight line in the map, which is not the shortest path of course. Does someone know how this can be changed?
The accuracy of displayed locations is of course only as good as the locator accuracy, which is no problem for DX distances of course.

Any further good ideas?

73, Stefan/DK7FC